Monday, May 21, 2012

Cosmos 5/21

It was a perfect gardening weekend.  The sky was blue, the air was clear, the humidity low and the temperatures topped out in the high 70's.  It was the kind of weekend that draws me to the nursery to walk among all the color and the texture to fantasize about turning my little plot of land into a botanical showplace.  In past years, I've been known to have a serious plant nursery "habit".  Back in PA, I was a regular visitor that frequently left with a van load of perennials.  Now that we are at month 28 with no job...severe restraint is required.  However, the gardens still needs to be spruced up in preparation to put the house back on the market.  So, I got to indulge myself just a bit in the garden store yesterday.

I walk the aisles of the greenhouse looking for favorites, but I am also thinking about what I might most enjoy photographing.  Right now, it's all about shallow depth of field....going for that ethereal look in the garden.  When I came upon the cosmos...it was a no brainer.    I barely had them in before I had to run for my camera.  Right now, I'm using a 50mm 1.4 with a 20mm extension tube for most of my garden shots.  It lets me get in tight with just a sliver of tight focus.  Dreamy....

cosmos1


Playing along with Carly today....A Photo A Day.

1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

Your photos are gorgeous. I do not have a close-up lens and in any case I am not that good – I just take a lot of photos and keep the best ones. Last Friday we visited the Brooklyn Botanic Garden where close to 5,000 roses were in bloom in the rose garden – I took 450 pictures or more. I hope to have several good enough photos for a future post.