On the south shore of Long Island, not far from JFK airport is beautiful Nickerson Beach. It's a birding location I kept hearing about and it was high on my list of places I needed to check out. It's a favorite spot for birders and nature photographers as it is a nesting area for terns, plovers, and skimmers.
Today I made my first trip there with a friend and we were not disappointed. There is a huge skimmer colony there but they were very quiet and mostly grounded. I think they're all nesting now. But the terns were active and there were baby terns everywhere. Lori and I just planted ourselves on the ground and enjoyed watching and photographing the bird behavior.




Linking up today with Carly's Photo A Day...
Today I made my first trip there with a friend and we were not disappointed. There is a huge skimmer colony there but they were very quiet and mostly grounded. I think they're all nesting now. But the terns were active and there were baby terns everywhere. Lori and I just planted ourselves on the ground and enjoyed watching and photographing the bird behavior.




Linking up today with Carly's Photo A Day...
3 comments:
Superb pictures, great details; those little ones are so cute.
I'm revisiting all the blogs on my blogroll and came across yours again. These photos of terns are incredible!!! I see them flying by all the time and watch them chase the ferry but haven't been to a nesting site. Clearly, I have some birding to do this autumn. Lovely photographs!
Love this series ... and the little ones just waiting for breakfast!
Post a Comment