This week, the suggested theme for photo art friday is to use an "ugly" image.
Working with the intention to expand on the "ugliness" of an image invites a different approach to creativity. So, it was an interesting exercise to say the least. I took this picture through a broken window at the abandoned Kings Park Veterans Mental Hospital here on Long Island. There are numerous buildings on the property (which ironically, is now a state park), but all the buildings have welded doors and boarded windows. In a few places, the boards have been torn away and you can peek in at the decaying interior. I would LOVE to get inside and snoop around but not at the risk of my health or of being arrested.
The hospital buildings are scheduled to be torn down soon. It makes me sad really. When I'm there, I can't help but think of all the lives....all the stories (many most likely horrific) that were housed within those walls. I understand the draw photographers have to abandoned places. These places invite us to attempt to summon up spirits and offer a thread of connection to times/places and circumstances that we can never know. Fascinating really. And ripe for the imagination to run wild.


Working with the intention to expand on the "ugliness" of an image invites a different approach to creativity. So, it was an interesting exercise to say the least. I took this picture through a broken window at the abandoned Kings Park Veterans Mental Hospital here on Long Island. There are numerous buildings on the property (which ironically, is now a state park), but all the buildings have welded doors and boarded windows. In a few places, the boards have been torn away and you can peek in at the decaying interior. I would LOVE to get inside and snoop around but not at the risk of my health or of being arrested.
The hospital buildings are scheduled to be torn down soon. It makes me sad really. When I'm there, I can't help but think of all the lives....all the stories (many most likely horrific) that were housed within those walls. I understand the draw photographers have to abandoned places. These places invite us to attempt to summon up spirits and offer a thread of connection to times/places and circumstances that we can never know. Fascinating really. And ripe for the imagination to run wild.


11 comments:
Wow you did a great job capturing the "not so pretty" with this piece. It's thought provoking indeed.
I love this Kat!
There are so many wonderful textures and tones here.
Sending you wishes for a beautiful weekend.
Wonderfully intriguing.
Love what you have accomplished here Kat! Every corner/edge/part is just what I love. So happy you shared this with Photo Art Friday. I'd frame this one!
Great capture and what you say it too true,
Very good photo.
Regards and best wishes
great work. Love the colors you used.
I agree, it would be interesting to see inside, but not to be hurt doing it.
There is feeling in this shot, lots of emotions coming through...
Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams
Your explanation is why I like to look at old and abandoned places too. Fascinating story, there. Intriguing picture, quite full of texture.
A perfect image for this week's challenge! Great processing, too.
Fantastic pic for this challenge. It certainly isn't pretty!!
Marvelous editing. Have a great week.
Post a Comment