I'm slowly making strides to launching my photography business. Yes, the research and studies continue, but I'm seeing that I could procrastinate real action in lieu of study indefinitely. So this week, I've taken a few baby steps forward.
I have no formal business plan as of yet but I have lots of notes (on paper) and I am getting a vision of what is possible, what is manageable, and what my ultimate goals are. I also have a feel for what my initial investment needs to be, both in terms of money and time. So, armed with this skeleton of a plan, I finally discussed it with my husband. He was good....he managed to listen more than talk and advise, and I came away feeling like I have the support I need from him. That was a big hurdle for me and I'm feeling good that it's behind me.
On advice from my wonderful blog friend Monica, I joined the Professional Photographers Association as an "aspiring photographer". It's essentially a junior membership that's discounted yet comes with most of the full membership benefits. I learned off the bat that there is a weekend long conference in New Jersey at the end of this month. After studying the schedule, I registered for this event. There I will be able to take advantage of sessions on children's photography, portraiture, photoshop techniques, lighting, and internet marketing. I'll also get to visit the vendor floor, learn about product options and get accounts established. I'm hoping to come away much more prepared to schedule my first sessions for portfolio building purposes. I see myself actually opening to business no later than the end of April.
I've looked into my local resources for small business information. Turns out, there is help available for small businesses at the university that's right in my back yard. I'm planning to call them today to see what they can offer and make an appointment for a consult. A mentor would be a godsend.
In the interim, I enrolled in an online class on pet photography which began this week. Pets (dogs in particular) are a niche that I think would be a great fit for me. Clearly, there are unique challenges to this genre. The first assignment was to photograph your own pet in varying ambient light situations. My dog Indie is VERY camera shy. It doesn't matter if it's my DSLR or an iPhone...his tendency is to run from the camera. So, it's been a challenge to get him to cooperate as my model. Many treats later, I think it's finally starting to click that the camera can be his friend. These are the photos that I've posted for the assignment.



Next week, we'll be getting into adding and manipulating the light for more of a studio look. We're also supposed to photograph the pet of a neighbor or friend. I've got someone lined up with four small dogs to be my subjects....so it begins!
I'll admit, I've had moments of severe hesitation over the last few weeks. Am I out of my mind? Especially in light of the instability of our situation, with my husband's lack of a job...I sometimes question the timing of taking this step. But I've decided to approach it from a learning perspective. Regardless of what happens or where I end up going...what I learn, my experience and my portfolio go with me.
I have no formal business plan as of yet but I have lots of notes (on paper) and I am getting a vision of what is possible, what is manageable, and what my ultimate goals are. I also have a feel for what my initial investment needs to be, both in terms of money and time. So, armed with this skeleton of a plan, I finally discussed it with my husband. He was good....he managed to listen more than talk and advise, and I came away feeling like I have the support I need from him. That was a big hurdle for me and I'm feeling good that it's behind me.
On advice from my wonderful blog friend Monica, I joined the Professional Photographers Association as an "aspiring photographer". It's essentially a junior membership that's discounted yet comes with most of the full membership benefits. I learned off the bat that there is a weekend long conference in New Jersey at the end of this month. After studying the schedule, I registered for this event. There I will be able to take advantage of sessions on children's photography, portraiture, photoshop techniques, lighting, and internet marketing. I'll also get to visit the vendor floor, learn about product options and get accounts established. I'm hoping to come away much more prepared to schedule my first sessions for portfolio building purposes. I see myself actually opening to business no later than the end of April.
I've looked into my local resources for small business information. Turns out, there is help available for small businesses at the university that's right in my back yard. I'm planning to call them today to see what they can offer and make an appointment for a consult. A mentor would be a godsend.
In the interim, I enrolled in an online class on pet photography which began this week. Pets (dogs in particular) are a niche that I think would be a great fit for me. Clearly, there are unique challenges to this genre. The first assignment was to photograph your own pet in varying ambient light situations. My dog Indie is VERY camera shy. It doesn't matter if it's my DSLR or an iPhone...his tendency is to run from the camera. So, it's been a challenge to get him to cooperate as my model. Many treats later, I think it's finally starting to click that the camera can be his friend. These are the photos that I've posted for the assignment.



Next week, we'll be getting into adding and manipulating the light for more of a studio look. We're also supposed to photograph the pet of a neighbor or friend. I've got someone lined up with four small dogs to be my subjects....so it begins!
I'll admit, I've had moments of severe hesitation over the last few weeks. Am I out of my mind? Especially in light of the instability of our situation, with my husband's lack of a job...I sometimes question the timing of taking this step. But I've decided to approach it from a learning perspective. Regardless of what happens or where I end up going...what I learn, my experience and my portfolio go with me.
3 comments:
These are beautiful captures. Don't think you are out of your mind at all.
Absolutely IN your very right mind, dear heart. Hard to believe Indie is camera shy - he looks like a professional model in these shots. I think knowing how to "be" with animals is pretty important for a pet photog - and you clearly have that part aced. This is such exciting news - I'm so happy for you!
Kat, this is your time. Do it. I've been reading you and seeing your amazing photos since AOL journals and you just keep getting better and better. Learn while you earn if you need to but you are already better than a lot of photographers out there. Good luck with this. I look forward to watching your success!
katcorr
Post a Comment