Reports of snowy owl sightings on Long Island began to appear shortly after Thanksgiving. It seems almost absurd to traipse out to the general vicinity of a point on a map and think you'll really find what you're looking for, especially when that thing is a bird. But there are a few of us....enthusiastic birders and/or nature photographers who do just that.
The snowy owl sightings have been reported at three locations on the island and I have visited them all. One, I've visited twice. The first two excursions were a bust...no owl to be found.
This week, I made a trip way out toward the east end of the island and low and behold, I found an owl. It was right where the reports had led me...on the bank of a small island in the south bay at least 600 yards from where I was standing. These owls are SO white, I could see that tiny white dot on the opposite shore. But even through my long telephoto lens, it was nothing more than a fuzzy blob. A bit of a disappointment.
Yesterday, Arielle and I were heading off the island to visit friends in Allentown. We decided to start out early and take a detour to Jones Beach where several sightings had been reported. It was a beautiful day, more like fall than winter, and a hike at the beach would not be a bad consolation prize in the event no owl was to be found. But it was a lucky day. The beautiful bird was perched right on the top of a dune posing cooperatively. I think he was just barely awake but certainly in no way distressed by the small audience of bird enthusiasts staked out on an adjacent dune just to admire him.
The snowy owl sightings have been reported at three locations on the island and I have visited them all. One, I've visited twice. The first two excursions were a bust...no owl to be found.
This week, I made a trip way out toward the east end of the island and low and behold, I found an owl. It was right where the reports had led me...on the bank of a small island in the south bay at least 600 yards from where I was standing. These owls are SO white, I could see that tiny white dot on the opposite shore. But even through my long telephoto lens, it was nothing more than a fuzzy blob. A bit of a disappointment.
Yesterday, Arielle and I were heading off the island to visit friends in Allentown. We decided to start out early and take a detour to Jones Beach where several sightings had been reported. It was a beautiful day, more like fall than winter, and a hike at the beach would not be a bad consolation prize in the event no owl was to be found. But it was a lucky day. The beautiful bird was perched right on the top of a dune posing cooperatively. I think he was just barely awake but certainly in no way distressed by the small audience of bird enthusiasts staked out on an adjacent dune just to admire him.
9 comments:
Your determination paid off. I love it!
What a brilliant experience for you and so well deserved after chasing it up so many times. We have barn owls which are part white, but this looks so exciting.
What a beauty. Thanks for sharing.
Great job. What a beautiful and adorable white owl is!
Standing ovation:)))
Yoshi
Great shot!!! You must be very happy to have gotten that one, well worth the wait.
I have the tiniest blob on a fence post that is my first owl shot. Never had a owl on the coast....but I am happy that I got any shot of it at all.
Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams
Beautiful shot of the snowy owl, this one is probably a mature male judging from his snowy white coat. I saw several here but most were younger ones with somedark scalloping in their feathers still. they are pretty amazing birds.
A great photo,
the owl you've taken amazing...
Thank you for visiting on my blog.
Best regards, Karin
Lucky, lucky you! Persistence always pays off - good for you. Beautiful shot of a beautiful bird.
Oh beautiful, wonderful, miraculous. People have been seeing them on Cape Cod also, and I've seen a few photos, but this is the winner.
Post a Comment