Sunday, January 8, 2012

First Portraits

One area of photography where I feel I am a complete novice is portraiture.  I've never pursued it and I believe I've shied away because I'm so uncomfortable in front of a camera myself.  But I've been thinking about it a lot lately.  One, because it is a viable option for work without the cost of extensive travel, and two, because I need something new to explore.

I think I've also been intimidated by believing that you need to know a LOT about light and how to manipulate it.  You have to understand how to use your flash.  So over the past few weeks, I've been doing some studying and learning that while this is true...one can still do successful portrait work without a huge set up.  I have finally learned some new skills with the flash, but I now know more about making the most of ambient light.

I made one equipment purchase.  Being that my primary photography pursuits center around nature and wildlife, I've got a nice telephoto zoom in my arsenal as well as a decent macro lens.  But I started looking at lenses that were preferred for portraits and selected a fast 50mm 1.4.  Time to play.

Turns out, I only have one family member who is willing to let me practice on them.  Arielle is a champ!  Here are a couple of my first attempts...

REL6

Definitely some room for improvement here. What's with that background? Love her smile but I think the exposure should come down just a hair. I'm kind of loving the next one though....


REL3



6 comments:

Jon said...

Those are wonderful portraits for a first attempt! I'm sure Arielle was willing to be photographed because she's so young.
Unfortunately, the older I get, the less I want to be anywhere near a camera. I look my best in a thick fog from about two miles away......

Cindy said...

Adorable! I just love her. Hope everyone is well. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California.

I am your newest follower.

God bless and have a nice day :-)

kath said...

Great photos! And your daughter is adorable!

Yoshi said...

Very well done! I do feel the same as you do. Portrait is one of the category I should study and practice... Probably with my cats?
Tamron 90mm macro will work fine with portrait, I guess...

RURAL said...

You have done a great job, your daughter is gorgeous.

I love my 50 mm lens, and thank you for reminding me that I need to go and get it out. The light in here is too low today for the macro, or the telephoto.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams