Friday, October 22, 2010

Round Robin - Bridges

I'm wanting to get back to some blogging again and I think that photo memes are the best way to start. I loved being part of a photographic community but I've let it get lost. I know the Round Robins are a great group, so I'm back...hopefully for a good long time.

I really pondered about what to post for this challenge. I have some pretty bridge pictures, but I couldn't resist posting this one.

Artistically, it's not the best image. It was taken from an airplane. When I fly, I often sit with my nose plastered to the window looking down at the patterns in the land below. There are images everywhere. I finally talked myself in to buying a point and shoot camera that I could keep in my purse to shoot out the window of the plane. This is one of those shots. It's not composed, it's just captured.

I was flying from Long Island to Baltimore recently on the way to Indiana. I'd been enjoying watching (and photographing) the New Jersey coast, then all the patchwork farms in Delaware. The wetlands as we approached the Chesapeake Bay looked like puzzle pieces! When we flew over this bridge, I did my best to fit it all in one frame. It's the William Preston Bridge (better known as the Chesapeake Bay Bridge) in Maryland, route 301. The span is 4.3 miles long.


WPLBridge

We have a lot of terrific photographers participating in this Round Robin Challenge. Please stop by and visit them all. The linking list is HERE.

10 comments:

Jeanette said...

Very cool picture! I always look out of the window when I fly, too and I love taking pictures!

Sandy Trefger said...

What a wonderful photo! It really shows the size and length of that bridge. I like it!
Sandy
from the Heart of Texas

Kim, USA said...

What a beautiful panoramic view thanks for sharing!
Bridges

Kranky Granny said...

I love seeing your photo. I have never been near a bridge of this size. Not only an amazing shot but I am amazed at what it must take to build such a structure.

It is also amazing what the human brain can think of and what people can accomplish to make those thoughts a reality.

Thanks for taking a walk over the Chain of Rocks Bridge with me. Your comment is like adding icing to the cake.

Monica said...

Kat you made me laugh when I read your entry. I could just picture you with your nose pressed to the window. It also delighted me as it's what I do myself and I'm always facinated by all the 'art of nature' below me. I too also bought a point and shoot just so I could take photos from the plane. Unfortunately, I can't find that camera now for this upcoming trip.

I truly enjoyed your photo and the story. =)

Linda said...

I like this picture very much---LONG bridge and beautiful blue water!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

You're not giving yourself enough credit. That's a great shot, especially considering that it's taken through an airplane window! Welcome back to the Robins!

Unhinged said...

I think it's ah-MAY-zing. Pictures like this make me feel as if I was there, too...

Jama said...

Cool picture! I love sitting by the window too, even though something there's nothing to see except clouds and sky.

Girl Tornado said...

You are so funny, so like me. For years, I always wanted a window seat, even though I was a seasoned flyer, and I almost always had my nose plastered to the window, doing the same as you, marveling at the patchwork of land below me in all its glorious variations. I had to laugh at myself -- I often thought that the other flyers probably thought it was my first time on a plane. LOL

Love, love your bridge shot. Very cool. Don't you love how you can see the curve of the earth when you are so high up in the sky?