Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Close Encounters

Today, for the first time in a long time, I went out with the intention of taking some photos. I was really thinking about fall colors. But, I was driving by the harbor and noticed this blue heron on the shore nearby. I pulled over to the side of the road, and was able to watch the bird and take photographs for quite a long time right from the car window. I was closer to the heron than I've ever been, and incredibly, he didn't immediately spook. I was even able to eventually slip out of the car and settle on a nearby rock to continue shooting.


blueheron4

These next three pictures were shot in quick series. Kinda cool...

blueheron1

Even when I'm watching, I can't believe how these birds can grab a fish. He caught THREE!

blueheron2

One fish makes a break for it...

blueheron3

My only disappointment with these images is that the light was so flat that the images also look a bit flat. Notice there's not a bit of shadow? I needed a little sun to bring out the definition in their feathers a bring some dimension to the picture. But it was exciting to watch and photograph this creature none the less.

blueheron5

4 comments:

marigolds2 said...

I'm sorry you find anything disappointing about these shots - they blow me away completely. It's like being right there, and it's closer than I'VE ever been to a blue heron, looking him right in the eye. You are something else, dear girl, something wonderful.

Cindy said...

I love these! The last one, especially, such a unique pose & composition. Fantastic!! xoo

Girl Tornado said...

Wow, still such amazing photos, even without the perfect light. Beautiful Kat!!! :)

Yoshi said...

Hi Kat,
Thank you for coming back to my blog!
Your nature photography is simply amazing!!! I love the photo that bird caught THREE fishes! I am sure that the bird can consume as many fishes as Japanese do:)
I will be following your blog from now on!!!