I found one family of ducks and some turtles but nothing else. I was disappointed because they were all in shadow and I wasn't able to get anything worth keeping. As I started back, I noticed something larger and brighter at the far side of this little backwater pond. I had my hunch as to what it was and if I was right, I was going to have to be very sneaky to get a shot at it.
From most points on the trail, I didn't have a clear view because of dense vegetation. But, I finally found a break in the trees and shrubs and I was RIGHT! It was a black crowned night heron.
I've only seen these at a fairly significant distance and they spook easily. But this was my lucky day. Not only was he relatively close, but he was also fishing intently for quite a long time. I'm embarrassed to reveal how many shots I took of this bird but the resulting images were worth it.
This is a series I was fortunate enough to catch. I know there's a little motion blur, it was not a bright area and I was pushing my camera to the low light limit for hand holding. But in this case, I think it works.



7 comments:
How wonderful. These photos are so professional. I just loved them, and I appreciate the effort and all the shots it took to get these choice ones. I do love great photos and great subjects, which you have here. I am really glad I found your blog through Connie I think on her blog list. I was intrigued by your title because I flew so much in my dreams. Gerry
These are so beautiful Kat! Your photography always amazes me!
I love the one with it's wings spread. It looks like it's daintily wading through the water trying not to get wet.
These are awesome, I'll bet you took close to a hundred. ;-) I'm sure it just made your day to get these close-ups of him!
WOW, excellent shots, Kat.
Wonderful details & textures.
I never know what to say. Your pics always put me in awe.
You are THAT good. Kat, you need to start selling your stuff.
Love,
Nancy
Wonderful shots! Gorgeous bird, looks like your patience paid off!
Post a Comment