Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Passionate Artist

Tuesday night, I went into Manhattan to see Bruce Hornsby in concert. He was performing with Ricky Scaggs as a followup to their recently released collaborative album.




I am a mad, crazy Hornsby fan. I think this was my 17th or 18th time seeing him play. I try to never miss an opportunity when he's nearby regardless of whether he's with his band or playing solo. He's just that good. I have tickets to see him again twice between now an the middle of May



Bruce is not only extremely talented....but his performances are an example of pure creative passion. He plays each show from his heart and soul, not from a setlist. His band members can't take their eyes off of him because they never know where he's going to lead them. I once read an article where he was interviewed saying that he considers his songs living entities. The original song is nothing but a skeleton of what it will grow to be over the years. He experiments, live....in front of his audience...and sometimes he takes us musically to very unexpected places.

I was raised in a family where music was highly encouraged but visual art was not. I played the piano for years and LOVED it. I was technically proficient....a good "reader". But I never had the courage or the encouragement to let go and explore where I could take music creatively. If I don't have the notes in front of me....I have no idea what to do. The suppression of perfection interferes with my artistic attempts to this day. But, finally....I'm trying to learn to let go.




Seeing and hearing Bruce play IS a spiritual experience for me. And I have become more or less obsessed with attempting to capture the essence of what he does in an image. I'm fortunate because he does allow photography during his performances. And, through my camera, I get a closer look at the moments of expression that go into the music. It absolutely fascinates me.


My website has a Live Music gallery. I take photos of musicians whenever I can, but Bruce is my favorite subject. I keep striving for THE definative shot...but somehow, I know that his performances are too big for that. Consequently, I have a collection of moments that illustrate true artistic passion.

No comments: